Today at their special event, held at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, Apple officially announced the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus. Both new handsets are packed full of features, some expected, some not. Here we give you a roundup of the specs, price and release dates of Apple’s brand new next generation smartphones.
Image : iPhone 7
iPhone 7 | 7 Plus Features :
Both of the new iPhones are jam-packed with features so, starting with design, here’s what you will get for your money:
- Design – overall, the form factor remains the same as the iPhone 6S/6S Plus but the antenna bands are now practically hidden along the bottom and top edges of the iPhone
- Colors – The Space Gray color has been dropped but, alongside Rose Gold, Gold and Silver, there are two new color options – Black and Jet Back
- Display – Screen resolution and screen sizes remain the same but we do get improvements in the form of an HD Retina display with wider color gamut, color management, and 25% brighter than the previous iPhone
- 3D Touch – The popular feature gets an upgrade on both the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus with better pressure sensors
- Processor – Both handsets get the brand new quad—core A10 with the M10 coprocessor, called A10 Fusion. The latest chip offers graphical performance of up 50% faster and overall performance of up to 40% faster than the A9 processor
- Camera – The camera upgrade is one of the largest ever seen on the iPhone and is the main highlight of the iPhone 7/7 Plus. It is also the feature that differentiates the two handsets.
- The iPhone 7 has a 12 MP rear camera with a ƒ/1.8 aperture, 1/2.6 sensor and far better low light performance than ever seen before on an iPhone. Also included, a feature that was not expected, is Optical Image Stabilization. The FaceTime camera receives an upgrade to 7 MP
- The iPhone 7 Plus features the much-rumored dual-lens camera with a pair of 12 MP sensors, each with a ƒ/1.8 aperture and 1/3 sensor. It also has 2X zoom, one lens is a telephoto and one is wide-angle. The front camera is also 7 MP.
Both cameras also sport True Tone flash with 4 LED for much better photos in low light and complete darkness.
- Home Button – The mechanical home button has been replaced with a Force-Sensitive Touch ID home button with a taptic engine
- Proximity Sensor – Both new handsets contain an improved proximity sensor that works in low light and can detect hand gestures
- Water and Dust Resistant – For the first time ever the new iPhone has an IP67 rating for both dust and water resistance, meaning the iPhone can be used under the water for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.
- 5 mm Headphone Jack – as rumored, the headphone jack disappears with connectivity now by lightning cable. Lightning-enabled ear-pods will be available and there will also be an adapter to change your existing headphones to the lightning port.
- Speakers – Again, another first for the iPhone, we get dual speakers made possible by the removal of the headphone jack.
- Battery Life – Both models get a small increase in battery size along with an increase in battery life of about 1 hour over the previous iPhone models.
- Storage Capacity – The 16 GB storage capacity has been ditched with 32 GB now being the base model. 64 GB has also been ditched in favor of 128 GB and a new 256 GB capacity has been added in.
- Accessories – Both models will ship with the lightning-enabled ear pods out of the box along with an adaptor for lightning to 3.5 mm. Apple has also announced AirPods, wireless ear pods with Bluetooth, along with a new range of silicon and leather cases to fit both the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus
The price points for each model are:
- 32 GB – $199 on contract or $649 unlocked
- 128 GB – $299 on contract or $749 unlocked
- 256 GB – $399 on contract or $849 unlocked
iPhone 7 Plus
- 32 GB – $299 on contract or $769 unlocked
- 128 GB – $399 on contract or $869 unlocked
- 256 GB – $499 on contract or $969 unlocked
Pre-orders for both models will start on September 9th and shipping will start in some countries on September 16th with more to follow on 23rd.
What so you think of the new iPhone 7/7 Plus? Will you be getting one ? Follow us on Facebook and Subscribe to our free email newsletter for more news on the latest Apple products.