In the past, jailbreakers used to be able to downgrade their iOS firmware back to a version that could be jailbroken, regardless of whether that version was still being signed by Apple or not. We could do this by using a simple but powerful tool called TinyUmbrella. These days, the tool does not work fully but we are expecting it to be updated in the near future.
Image : Tinyumbrella Download
How TinyUmbrella [ext link] works is this – it will save SHSH blobs from your iOS device for each valid iOS firmware. By valid, we mean that the firmware must be signed by Apple at the time TinyUmbrella is used. If the firmware is no longer being signed, the blobs can’t be saved, it’s as simple as that. The blobs are then converted into a pre-signed IPSW fie that could be used repeatedly to downgrade your iOS device.
Although the downgrade feature of TinyUmbrella no longer works, we can, and should, still use the tool for saving our SHSH blobs. At some point in the future, we will be able to use TinyUmbrella to downgrade but, if you don’t have any SHSH blobs saved, there won’t be any point. To that end, start using TinyUmbrella today to save your SHSH blobs every time you update your iOS firmware
How to Use TinyUmbrella to Save SHSH Blobs :
- Download TinyUmbrella [ext link] onto your Mac or Windows PC using the given links
- Ensure that your computer is running an up to date version of Java. If not, use this[ link ] to download it because TinyUmbrella will not work without it
- Launch TinyUmbrella on your iOS device
- Now connect your iOS device to your computer and wait for TinyUmbrella to detect it
- Once it has been detected, TinyUmbrella will download and save all valid SHSH blobs from your device. This is an automatic process and you won’t need to do anything to help the process.
Things to Keep in Mind :
- TinyUmbrella will only download SHSH blobs for firmware that Apple is still signing
- All of the saved blobs will be put into a file called ~/.tu/.shsh.
- All known devices are recorded and saved to a file called ~/.tu/.known_devices.
- There are three SHSH blob types – OTA, Erase (Restore) and Update (Restore)
Although you cannot use these blobs to downgrade just yet, you will be able to in the future so keep saving them. For more news and up to date developments, Subscribe to our free email newsletter and follow us on Facebook.