iOS 8.4 was released yesterday with the much-awaited Apple Music launch, which take music streaming to another level for the Apple users. Also, many security fixes and Beats 1 were included too. And the next exciting news that came out was the release of TaiG 2.2. Jailbreak Tool for iOS 8.4 ! Now those who jailbroke their iOS 8.3 devices before the launch of this updated tool obviously could not use those new iOS 8.4 features.
Image : Update 8.3 Taig Jailbreak 8.4 Jailbreak
You surely can update your device to the iOS 8.4 jailbreak, but it isn’t that easy. Jailbreaking a non-jailbroken device is a child’s play, but updating a device which already has been jailbroken to a new jailbreak firmware is not easy at all.
So we have laid out the process in easy steps to help you upgrade your iOS 8.3 jailbroken device to the new iOS 8.4 jailbreak.
- Download the iOS 8.4 IPSW : First of all, you cannot use OTA to update your device, as it does not work on jailbroken devices. Also, TaiG jailbreaks are better working on the devices which have been freshly restored. So first download the iOS 8.4 IPSW file.
- Backup : Plug in your device to your computer and open iTunes. Now transfer all your iTunes or App Store purchases by browsing to File – Devices – Transfer Purchases. You need to press the Alt key on Windows to bring up the File menu. After transferring the purchases successfully, go to File – Devices – Back Up. The full device backup will take some time if your data is huge, so keep patience. Remember that you cannot restore an iCloud backup after jailbreaking, hence backup only with iTunes.
- Backup Cydia: iTunes will not backup your Cydia data, so you will need to separately back up your existing repos, jailbreak tweaks, etc. Read this guide to know how to back up Cydia data. You may alternatively use the CSources2 app to backup, or you can just take screenshots of your repos and tweaks, which is an old school method.
- Restore to iOS 8.4 : After performing all the backups, restore your device to stock iOS 8.4 through iTunes by using the firmware file that you downloaded in the first step. Press and hold the Shift key [on windows] and Alt [on a Mac] and click on Restore. This brings up a screen to select the iSO 8.4 ipsw .
- Set Up Your Device : After restoring to a fresh stock iOS 8.4, you will need to set up the device from the start as new. Remember not to restore your backups yet.
- Download TaiG 2.2.0 : Now get the latest TaiG 2.2.0 jailbreak tool for iOS 8.4 from this link.
- Jailbreak iOS 8.4 : Once the tool is downloaded, jailbreak your device using our TaiG jailbreak guide.
- Restore Your iTunes Backup : After jailbreaking your device successfully, restore all your data from the iTunes backup. To do this, plug-in your device to your computer and open iTunes. Now browse to File – Devices, and then click the Restore from Backup option. If on Windows, press the Alt key to bring up the File menu. Then you need to select the backup that you made in the 2nd step and click on the Restore button to begin the process. The restore may take some time if your data size is large. So wait patiently till the whole syncing process is successfully completed and the same is prompted by iTunes.
- Restore the Cydia Backup : After restoring your iTunes backup, open Cydia and use our guide to restore your Cydia backup successfully . In case you made the Cydia backup using CSources2, use it again for restoring the Cydia data. If you took the screenshots of your repos and tweaks to refer to them later, then use them to add your sources and jailbreak tweaks back manually.